timeline of evolution of political parties
- By 1816 the Federalist Party had almost died out mainly because of the death of Alexander Hamilton.
- By 1816 Jeffersonian Republicans were gaining significant strength.
- The Whig Party created April 14, 1830. They were opposed to the Democratic Party during the Jacksonian Era. Most of the people against Jackson were I this party. They advocated for state rights, industrialization, and improvements such as road building. The Whig Party was ended due to a split over the issue of slavery in 1856.
- The Liberty Party was created April 15, 1840. They were a minor party that was around to impact the election of 1844. They took away the presidential win of Henry Clay. Their main focus was advocating for anti-slave cause and also opposed the annexation of Texas.
- April 15, 1850 the American Party was formed. They were also known as the "Know-Nothing Party" because of their secretive nature. The people in this party were referred to as "nativists" because they wanted limitations on immigration. This party dissolved and later became apart of the Republican Party.
- The Republican Party was formed on March 20, 1854.
- (Kennedy, Cohen, Bailey)